ShareThis Blog

Tuesday 6 December 2011

Webmaking 101 Challenges...

#3 Choose Your Weapon

The Dilemma of Text Editors

    The second step of the third challenge suggested : "Let the Editor Choose You

    Well I have something to say about this.... 

    Since the beginning of my jump into the HTML, CSS and WWW (geek) world every text editor I was using was the right for me (at least I said that to myself). The first ever text editor I started with was the most simple Notepad, it was perfect for me simply because I didn't know a thing about coding, so there I was with a book and a Notepad trying out what I am able to do.... I'm telling you, the feeling was amazing, like I'm the smartest person ever, understanding what the <h1> , <p> or <body> etc means... Don't blame me for being too naive at this point, coz I honestly had no idea how is the website or any application created, no idea that there is some kind of a code behind all that. Anyway, the Notepad was the first ever text editor that I used, in other words it was the one to take my "geek" virginity...:D

    When I became bored of the simple Notepad I decided to upgrade to Notepad++..... Stunning! I still felt comfortable coz most of the features was well known to me, only with a sprinkle on top... It was an amazing change for me... the difference in colors for every tag, the chance to tab your work for comparison and of course the bigger choice of languages I could use... I was completely satisfied with Notepad++ until....

    Until I saw what Visual Studio can do.... I know... it is not just a text editor.... but I didn't know better then... Mainly I was impressed about the code snippets... I just wanted to use it because of all the cool stuff you can do with it.... Also if I didn't know and honestly still don't know much about most of it.... it's cool if you are a super geek in my opinion... I mean, I am just a newbie who cares mainly only about the looks, colors, fonts and text.... no idea what is debugging or how to publish a site.... So who am I kidding... Visual Studio is too complex, too smart for me yet....

    And then I tried something else Microsoft Expression Studio... Again, I know it might be still too complex for me, but I have gone a bit further and decided to stick to it. I love that the Expression Studio has all the tools in one pack.... that includes the HTML text editor (MS Expression Web)... I love it, and what's not to love - it integrates with other programs including Visual Studio and Adobe Photoshop, links my CSS to HTML pages and of course the code snippets... Plus it has the Super Preview to view my work in all browsers so I can compare and fix what needs to be fixed.... Great... So, honestly, I don't know anything about VIM or TextMate or Kate... I just know that MS Expression Web is the editor for me... So I agree...

My text editor chose me!!! :)

    And we lived happily ever after.... :D


Click on the picture...
P.S. Remember the previous challenge (#2 Writing HTML by Hand)? The code in the picture...??? Here's how it looks on the browser (part of this challenge). 
Go on... Click on it...!!! ;)

No comments: